Tele-abortion patient referral
Dr Marie provides a medical abortion via teleconsultation service to those who cannot access a clinic and who are eligible to have a medical abortion consultation at home.
In order for your patient to be eligible for this service, you must provide her with a specific referral stating that you support her decision and that you are able, if required, to assist with follow-up care in conjunction with Dr Marie, as this service is provided as a shared care model.
Your patient is eligible for medical abortion via teleconsultation if she:
- Lives in VIC, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS or WA
- Has access to 24-hour emergency medical care within one hour of her home
- Is less than 8 weeks’ gestation (to ensure she is < 63 days at time of treatment) at the time of her appointment
- Is at least 16 years old
- Has a Medicare card
- Speaks and understands English and can follow complex instructions
- Has access to the Internet, telephone and a computer, laptop or tablet
- Has ultrasound and bHCG evidence of pregnancy, in addition to a documented Rhesus blood group
Certain medical conditions are contraindicated in the use of MS-2 Step. Please visit the MS Health website for the full product information sheet for medical professionals.
Do I need to refer for ultrasound or pathology?
In addition to the referral, you also need to provide your patient with the following results and ask that a copy of the results be faxed to Dr Marie on 03 9658 7440.
The results will need to be received by Dr Marie prior to the patient’s appointment (i.e. no later than 56 days gestation).
- Ultrasound scan to determine gestation
- Blood group, if rhesus status is unknown
- Pathology request for baseline serum beta hCG level
What does my patient need to do?
- Your patient must complete her ultrasound scan and blood test as soon as possible after your appointment with her.
- Once we have the referral and results we will call your patient and offer her the next available teleconsultation appointment.
- We will then send her a booking confirmation email, including information about the appointment, how to prepare and what she can expect from the process.
- Following the medical abortion via teleconsultation we will send you a discharge letter.
- Dr Marie will arrange a follow-up beta hCG test, review the results and conduct a telephone interview with your patient.
- If the medical abortion is assessed as complete your patient will be discharged (i.e. >80% decline in bHCG pre- and post- termination).
- If your patient requires further assessment or treatment, we may request your support with her care.
- If surgical management is necessary, you may refer her to the nearest Dr Marie clinic or other local provider.